Friday, August 28, 2015

Five Ways to Make Your Post Grad Apartment Feel Like Home


At 24 years old, I am at the stage in my life where I am always on the move. Between going to job A to job B, meeting with my boss to go over my day, the frequent wedding or family shoot, I generally leave in the morning around 9:45 am and usually don’t get home until damn close to 11:30.

Once I get home, I quickly shower and get ready for bed, only to lay awake for at least a good half hour, watching Always Sunny in Philadelphia, until my brain finally wears down and I can sleep.

Then I wake up and do it again.

Despite this, I sometimes get a day off. Those days, while fleeting, are my chance to enjoy my home (and time with my fiancée) for more than just a bed, but as more importantly, as a secure place that makes everything okay!!

Though in many ways, my home has become mainly a place to crash and my car has begun looking more and more like I live in it, the best part of those days off is having time to actually enjoy being in a place designed to make me feel relaxed and at ease.

Since many people, specifically people whom have just started in their careers, have adapted to this nomadic lifestyle, it is easy to forget to take the time to make your apartment feel like home, so when you are there you feel safe, secure, and relaxed.

Here is a list of 5 easy ways to make your apartment “home”:

1. Light: Lights is a great way to make your place feel more relaxing. From windows, to string lights, the options are endless, so make sure you brighten up your space and you will feel right at home in no time.

2. Photo frames: Photos are always a great way to bring a personal touch to your home. The photos are visually appealing and allow for you to reflect on good times.  Add a couple of cool frames and fun pictures  and you will be all set!

3. A designated spot to eat: Sometimes it is the little things, like sitting at the kitchen table to eat, that makes us feel connected to a location. It usually reminds up to slow down and focus.

4, Fun décor:
Little things like great throw pillows, an awesome couch cover, a few cute canvas prints, is all you need to make a space feel personalized.  Use your apartment to reflect who you are and do that with décor.

5. Netflix
Nothing says relaxing at home like curling up on the couch binge watching your favorite show with some wine and ice cream. So skip out on basic cable and subscribe to Netflix, there will always be something to watch!!



1 comment: