Thursday, March 5, 2015

Real Life: My Sister is Graduating High School

Perhaps the only thing crazier then being out of college for almost a full year is when you start taking your baby sister visits the colleges she is applying to for fall semester.

To think that my baby, and I emphasis the word BABY, sister will be a high school graduate and college freshman in a few short months is mind-boggling.

 The past two months has been a series of college tours (including Pace), open houses, applications, and financial paperwork. As the only one in my immediate family who has graduated from college, I have taken it upon myself (with great pleasure, mind you) to help my sister find the perfect school for her.

To be honest, I wouldn’t have this any other way. I am glad I am helping her on this journey. While it is daunting, frustrating, and sometimes downright scary, it is an important part of every young adult’s life and I am happy to be by my sister’s side as embarks on this adventure.

I have been there every step of the way thus far and intended to continue to be there until she decides on the perfect college for her (I am not going to lie- I would love for her to go to Pace too but at the end of the day she needs to pick what’s best for her)

 As many people would agree, college was one of the greatest experiences of my life, therefore, I want my sister to not only get an amazing education that will challenge her to become the best teacher she can be, but also to provide her with the tools to truly leave college as a well- rounded leader who can achieve whatever she sets her mind to.  I believe that a full college experience can do that.

So as we continue on our tours and wait to hear back from schools, I sit her typing as a very nervous but excited big sister, and I couldn’t be happier.


No comments:

Post a Comment