Friday, March 20, 2015

Traveling with You Sisters- A Life Changing Experience





For as long as I can remember, I have always wanted to travel. I know a lot of people say this, but in all honesty, in the deepest part of my soul, all I want is this world is to be able to see the world through my lens, capture it, and inspire others to do the same (if I got paid to do this that would be a great bonus).

Growing up, my father was never too keen on me being anywhere away from his abusive household. As I grew, my walls became covered with pictures and collages of the many places I wanted to visit. He would always tell me that I would never be able to go anywhere with out him, and I am sure, long before I realized how crazy he was, that every day I felt more and more trapped and thus longed to pick up and go anywhere my heart desired.

Sometime after my father was out of the picture, I was able to take my first adventure. In November of 2011, I registered for a travel course to spend 11 days exploring Greece at the end of May 2012. This was a dream come true for me, especially since years before I became “Greek” myself, I have always wanted to visit and learn about, in my mind, the most beautiful culture in the world.

The best part about this upcoming trip was knowing that I wasn’t going alone. Not only would I be traveling  to the most beautiful country in the world with a class, and a professor I already knew but I would be traveling to Greece with 5 others of my sorority sisters.

Traveling along Greece with my sisters brought us all closer. We learned a lot about the country, each other, and even ourselves. it was an experience that I wouldn’t want to share with anyone else and to this day, I encourage my fellow sisters to take the opportunity to take travel with each other.

And now I am telling you, take the opportunity while you young to travel with your sorority sisters because there are very few experiences in this world that would ever compare!

For me, this made my first traveling experience that much better. I was able to witness the true beauty of the country that is very much a part of me and my fellow Greeks, I was able to see the letters and recognize them, see the agriculture, and art, and country side and felt oddly connect to the place. It was comforting to know that I was not alone, that 7 other individuals (five  in my chapter, two in other sororities) felt that same connection. To this day, I long for the feelings that trip gave me, I long to be back, and I always look back and remember how we felt on that trip together, because all of were better people because of it.






1 comment:

  1. These are the things which normally comes in a manner for us where we need to learn a lot and also understanding things like niagara tour from new york helps us a lot with knowing how traveling has an outcome which stays good.

    ReplyDelete