Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Notes to the LDC: Amanda's Reflection on Being an LDC

Since today is my final day as a leadership development consultant for Phi Sigma Sigma, I wanted to reflect on all of the great things this job has offered me.

In addition to all of the benefits I mentioned in my first SGT blog post, I have had the opportunity to meet some amazing Phi Sigma Sigma women from around the country.


As you can see in this photograph, I received a lot of love from many sisters.




A majority of these notes are from the sisters of the Gamma Xi chapter at Widener University. They welcomed me into their beautiful home eight months ago. Throughout the school year I have worked closely with the chapter to create positive change and exciting new traditions. While it was a lot of work, the sisters and I had fun together as well. From hanging out in the manor to running the concession stands at PPL Park for a fundraiser, we have created many memories. I hope I taught them a lot because these women helped me develop leadership skills that I did not expect to gain. 


There are also notes in there from my consultant big, Shelly. Shelly is an amazing Phi Sig from Oregon who also was once a leadership consultant for the sorority. Even though she is from the other side of the country, she has been a huge support system for me. Whenever I  needed advice, Shelly offered her love and care through phone calls, text messages, and even surprise packages! Shelly mailed me a big package of my favorite candies and she even got me an adorable tank top from The Greek Supply "just because."


I also need to acknowledge my lovely sisters from the Iota Rho chapter at Saint Joseph's University. Some of the notes in this picture are from founders of the chapter and the chapter's advisor, Beth. This chapter has been such a joy to work with because the sisters are sweet and friendly and the leaders of the chapter are very driven and accomplished. Watching this newer chapter grow and experience its first formal recruitment was so rewarding and I look forward to seeing what the women do next.


Even though I was stationed in the Philadelphia area for a majority of my time as a consultant, 
I traveled to at least ten states and around 20 universities. In the pile I have an adorable thank you card from the Zeta Omicron chapter at Kutztown University and I have multiple kind notes and letters from another former consultant, Christina, after we colonized Phi Sigma Sigma's newest chapter at Farmingdale State College. All of my visits were unique, enlightening, and definitely unforgettable.

Because this job allowed me to explore different parts of the country with sisters, I added in some ticket stubs. I visited museums in Washington, D.C. with another consultant, Katie, and I even attended a campus-sponsored drag queen show with the Zeta Rho chapter at Fitchburg State University.


At the top of the photograph is a review of my work as a consultant after the fall semester. I added the review to this pile because it was full of encouraging feedback from chapter leaders and advisors. I am so proud to see that I have been making a positive and lasting impact on the chapters I work with and visit. I hope to keep in touch with everyone and hear about how they have grown.

There are many other special people that shaped my LDC experience as well. Some additional memories added in this next college include chaperoning the Grab-a-Date date party for the Delta Eta chapter at University of Delaware, helping the Iota Eta chapter at Florida Institute of Technology with formal recruitment, taking photo shoots with the other Phi Sigma Sigma consultants, working at Leadership Conference in Virginia, running extension presentations with HQ staff, playing laser tag with sisters from the Delta Upsilon chapter at Siena Heights University, and bumping into my grand little at a Phired Up workshop.



This has been a crazy eight months, but I do not regret a minute of it. LITP!

No comments:

Post a Comment